Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Images from the École nationale supérieure des beaux-arts (ENSBA)

Ran across this photo on the webpage of the Ecole Nationale Superieure des Beaux-Arts and thought it was cool. No other reason for the post, except that I'm long overdue on writing up something informative and witty. (the pressure!) This photo, obviously, is from when the sculptor was at work on the Statue of Liberty in Paris.


This image is cool, too; it's the frontispiece from a book of plates, c. 1770, by one G. Volpato and representing the loggia of Raphael in the Vatican. Notice (how could you not?) the dramatic use of one-point perspective.

1 comment:

Wiggs said...

Elizabeth, I am so thankful for your insight and commentary on beautiful objects! In my art history class now, we're discussing the Chicago World's Fair and I'm all thinking "I've learned this before!" with you!